The heater started smoking while I led a meditation

I was teaching a meditation class last week when the craziest thing happened.

It is currently cold outside so we had a space heater running inside of the studio to keep us comfortable.

We had been sitting in meditation with our eyes closed for about fifteen minutes and I could hear the space heater running. The next thing I know, I begin to smell smoke and quickly peak my eyes open. I saw the space heater from across the room beaming with smoke and sparks coming from the electrical outlet. Careful not to cause a panic in the class, I stood up and excused myself from the meditation to tend to the space heater. I didn’t know if I should ask the class to leave the studio while I ensured the heater was not a danger or threat, so I quickly assessed the situation to determine. I turned off the space heater and grabbed a thick towel to help me unplug the heater from the outlet as safely and quickly as possible. I opened up the window so the smoke could begin to leave the room and used a fan to cool off the space heater. By this point, people in the class were standing and approaching me to help tend to the situation. Because everyone was feeling calm and peaceful from the meditation, we were all collectively coming up with solutions without freaking out or panicking. It was a bit scary to deal with at the moment, but it really showed me how powerful meditation can be on the amygdala.
heating business