We had all the plans for our Halloween made, and my husband was decorating.
He had the haunted room all ready for visitors when he came flying up the stairs.
I thought he was going to scream and say the basement was truly haunted, which is what he tried every year. This year, he was even more frightened and told me this was the scariest Halloween we could imagine. He heard a noise coming from the furnace, and he was afraid it was going to die on us. He didn’t need to say anything more. I was already calling the HVAC company. I wasn’t going to allow a broken furnace to ruin our annual Halloween party. The HVAC technician said he would be at the house in about two hours, which gave us plenty of time to have the furnace repaired and ready for the party. By the time he arrived, the furnace was dead in the water, and the house was cooling quickly. I had the fireplace going, but I worried it wouldn’t keep the house warm enough. We had a couple of space heaters we planned on putting in the basement, just in case, but we wanted to hold off using them until we found out if the HVAC technician was going to arrive in time. When our son got home from school, he asked why it was so cold in the house, and we told him the furnace was broken. He ran to town and picked up a gas fireplace for the basement. He said it would save us money and it would be a good addition to the holiday mood.